The Water Butler

All Ways Plumbing


Better Water
Better Life

Gas Line Repair Minnesota | MN Plumber

Gas Line Installation & Repair | Natural Gas Safety

Natural gas is used by more than 50 percent of American households as their main heating source. Natural gas is clean, efficient, and relatively safe. However, because there are potential dangers associated with natural gas usage, the Public Utilities Commission of Minnesota recommends that consumers remember these safety tips. To help keep your gas appliances operating safely and efficiently a licensed plumber should check your gas appliances every year. Not performing annual maintenance may result in inefficient appliance operation and in some cases dangerous exposure to carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning The chemical properties of natural gas make it a clean fuel source. However, those same properties make it potentially dangerous for consumers if their natural gas appliances are not properly maintained. One of the dangers of poorly maintained or improperly used appliances is carbon monoxide poisoning. If a faulty furnace does not burn natural gas properly, or is not vented properly, carbon monoxide can begin to build in the home. When a person breathes carbon monoxide, their brain and organs are robbed of the oxygen necessary to function properly, and they can become sick and incapacitated very quickly. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu without a fever. Those experiencing these symptoms should get out of the house and call 911, the fire department, or emergency medical services immediately. To reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, here are a few tips:
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector. These devices work similarly to a smoke detector, only they measure the amount of carbon monoxide in the air.
  • Have appliances that use natural gas inspected by a qualified repair person once a year.
  • Inspect the vents, flues, and chimneys of all gas water heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces to ensure proper ventilation of exhaust.
  • Never use an oven to heat the house. This can damage the oven and cause carbon monoxide to be released into the home.
  • Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that does not have proper venting.

Gas Line Leaks

In its natural state, natural gas is odorless and colorless. So that it can be detected easily, an odorant called mercaptan into the gas before it goes into the companys distribution system. The odorant is so highly concentrated that even the smallest amounts of natural gas can be detected. If youve never smelled it, mercaptan gives off a foul smell, reminiscent of rotten eggs. Line leaks are rare but can be extremely dangerous. A buildup of natural gas in an enclosed area can make people very sick or cause an explosion. Gas leaks in the home can be easily prevented by ensuring flexible gas lines are installed properly and inspected regularly by licensed professionals.

Flexible Gas Connectors

Older flexible gas connectors that connect home appliances to gas supply pipes may still be in use. These gas connectors are corrugated tubes made of uncoated brass. They may crack or break, resulting in a gas leak, fire, or explosion. Homes built and appliances installed within the past 20 years should not be at risk. But, uncoated brass flexible gas connectors may still be in people's homes. As these connectors age, they become more dangerous. All uncoated flexible brass connectors should be replaced. Only a professional should inspect the connectors, which are most often used with gas ranges, ovens, and clothes dryers. Even slightly moving an older appliance to clean or check it for the presence of an uncoated brass connector can cause the connector to fail. This can allow gas to leak, which can lead to an explosion and fire. CERTAIN OLDER GAS CONNECTORS MAY BE DANGEROUS DANGER - CERTAIN OLDER GAS CONNECTORS MAY BE DANGEROUS See here images of both Gas Flexible Connectors that are safe, and Gas Flexible Connectors that could pose a danger. ONLY a licensed plumber is permitted to work on gas lines/gas leaks. If you think you have a gas leak call the utility company to shut off the gas and then call a licensed Minnesota Plumber immediately to have the lines tested.